This recipe is fast and easy — no sifting, folding, or creaming. Just dump and stir!
Dump in a bowl
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 5 teaspoons Rumford or Ener-G baking powder (2 if other brand)
- 1/3 cup powdered milk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon or so (or more) molasses (optional)
- Stir to mix.
- 2 eggs
- Small amount of light olive oil (other cooking oil can be used)
- 1 1/3 cup cold water or milk
Stir to mix. Adjust water or flour to get proper consistency for batter. If the batter is too thick, you’ll have the world’s heaviest whole wheat waffles and pancakes. The molasses gives the waffles a golden brown color and a nice flavor.
Rumford and Ener-G are activated by liquids as well as by heat. This means that as soon as you add the cold water or milk, the mixture will start to bubble. You will need a larger mixing bowl to hold it all. While you make the first couple of waffles, the batter won’t pour very well, and you’ll have to just dump it in the iron. After the bubbling stops, the batter will pour as you would expect (assuming you have the proper amount of liquid).
Serves two or three hungry people. Enjoy!